Monday, May 11, 2015

Bloggers at Home: Natalie Reddell

Hi! I'm Natalie Reddell!  I am an interior designer based in Richmond, VA.  I recently started a design and lifestyle blog called Commander in Chic that touches on all things fabulous and inspiring.  It is a window into my life as a designer, wife to “Prince Charming” and mama to “Sugar-britches”.  I am a Florida native and mostly have clients throughout the southeast, which is wonderful because I love to travel.  



















































I received my degree in interior design from Florida State University and studied the history of architecture and interiors at Parsons School in Paris, France.  I was four-years-old when I first started collecting toothpaste tube tops to use as buffet lampshades in my dollhouse, so I guess I started my career pretty early!

My personal style is timeless and fearless.  I am feminine and glamorous and don’t mind taking risks or making a statement.  I love saturated color and bold pattern.  I pride myself on being “Fashion Fearless” and not taking myself too seriously.



























It is very important to me that my designs are inspired.  Almost everything in my home has a story and means something to me and my family.  I own lots of antiques that I have collected or inherited.  I am a bit of an art junkie.  

I buy art that speaks to me and most of my art is from yard sales, Goodwill stores, and estate sales.  (Such a great resource!)  My husband paints in watercolor, so we have some of his originals, too.  I love to design around artwork!




My favorite room in our home is our formal living room. The wall sconce was a “rescue” from the dark and dusty corner of a local antique store. Thanks to Prince Charming’s welder, my electrician and some fairy dust, we have a true example of a RENAISSANCE.  

My father selected the artwork (above) for my childhood home years ago.  He calls it “his three blondes” because they remind him of my mom, my sister, and me.  My dad has an amazing sense of style and doesn’t mind taking risks.  He encourages my sister and me to think out of the box and aim high.  These paintings remind me of him, my mama and our childhood home. 

The French chairs and Drexel loveseats are from an estate sale and I had them recovered.  The fretwork cocktail table is a recent $75 treasure from a thrift store.  I love all things Chinoiserie, so it was must-have!  



























I consider myself a Fresh Traditionalist when it comes to my design style.  I love the classics, but have an adventurous spirit.  I like to mix design styles, add layers and trust my instincts.  If I love it, there is good reason.  I won't settle for less than the best.

I love Pink and try to sneak a little into every room in my house.  Scarlett O’Hara, my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and I are the only girls in my house so we have to fight for our Pink.  We call it “light red” in our house, but Scarlett and I know better.  Wink wink ;-)

I went bold with the pink on my accent pillows (above).  My dear friend and brilliant artist, Lindsay Cowles, designed the fabric for all of the pillows.  She is an accomplished artist and creates beautifully patterned fabric and wallpaper from her own original paintings.  

Interior design is about people.  Keeping it personal is essential.  I want my clients to enjoy their space and it needs to work!  Good design is really about improving the quality of life for the people around you.  Be brave and true to yourself.  It is important to try things outside of your comfort zone.  When someone says “you can’t do that” find someone who believes you can and won’t quit till it is done!  The value of hiring a designer is really in the plan we create with our clients based on their needs, desires, budget and lifestyle.

Photo credit: Jami Carlton Photography  

No comments: